This avocado toast is a perfect wholesome and protein packed lunch idea. It is easy and quick to make, so you can whip it up quickly on days lunch has to be quick.
Avo Toast - with tempeh bacon bits
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- nacho cheese sauce recipe (optional as a topping)
- wholewheat bread
How to make
1. To prepare the marinade for the tempeh, mix the maple syrup, liquid smoke and soy sauce together. Cut the tempeh in to small pieces and coat evenly with the marinade. Let the tempeh sit in the marinade at least for 5 minutes.
2. Mash the avocado and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
3. Heat a non-stick pan and fry the tempeh until golden brown. Drizzle the leftover marinade over the tempeh while it fries to add more flavour. Once finish the tempeh will have caramelised a little from the maple syrup.
4. Spread the avocado on the toasted bread and add the tempeh bacon as well as arugula and top it with the nacho cheese sauce. I used the sauce for this recipe because I had leftover. Alternatively you can also use sriracha sauce.
Find the recipe for the nacho cheese sauce here.